Community

Why You Cannot Miss Ilish, Greenery, and More in Monsoon Season Kolkata

Why You Cannot Miss Ilish, Greenery, and More in Monsoon Season Kolkata

Moonmoon’s mother called her up last Friday. She invited her son-in-law Raj and Moonmoon on Sunday for a special treat. Moonmoon was somewhat surprised but in spite of her ardent questions, her mother didn’t divulge any more detail. Raj was intrigued too when Moonmoon told him about the invitation. After all, they visited Moonmoon’s parents…

How a Lonely Woman can Take Care of Her Safety in a Big City

How a Lonely Woman can Take Care of Her Safety in a Big City

“Look on your right, and look on your left. Watch your back. Always watch all around you when you cross a lonely stretch of road, especially in the evening darkness. Never walk while talking on mobile, without being fully alert. Always remember, no place is safe for women, even big cities.” Whenever Sumana calls her…

Are We Going to Witness another Season of Waterlogging in Kolkata?

Are We Going to Witness another Season of Waterlogging in Kolkata?

One of the fun activities which I miss as a grown-up is walking in the waterlogged streets of Kolkata. I will never forget those rainy days when I walked home after school hours through a drowned road. I was not alone. My friends were also as ecstatic as me. We enjoyed ourselves to the fullest,…

How Moviegoing Changed in Kolkata; What to Expect in the Future

How Moviegoing Changed in Kolkata; What to Expect in the Future

Shankha Roy is a famous actor today. He is a familiar and highly popular face on TV soaps, web series, and big-screen feature films. His interest in acting was fired up by watching great movies in the darkness of the movie theatres of Kolkata. Even when he was a child, the grandeur of films always…

Pros and Cons of Living in a House near Waterbody

Pros and Cons of Living in a House near Waterbody

Every winter, as migratory birds arrive in droves at different jheels and lakes in West Bengal, Rajat takes out his camera and other paraphernalia to take photographs. He visits Santragachi Jheel, Rabindra Sarovar, and of course, Chintamoni Kar Bird Sanctuary whenever there is a holiday from his high-pressure software developer job. Although the winged visitors…

Is the Indian Economy in Fine Fettle? Is there any Dark Cloud in the Horizon?

Is the Indian Economy in Fine Fettle? Is there any Dark Cloud in the Horizon?

This has never happened earlier. Never in the history of India. Tax collection figures have gone through the roof and even surpassed Union Budget estimates. India’s tax collections soared to a record high of Rs 27.07 lakh crore in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2022, as mop-up from income and other direct taxes as…

Poila Boishakh — A Day of Adda, Great Food, and Festivities in Kolkata

Poila Boishakh — A Day of Adda, Great Food, and Festivities in Kolkata

Moonmoon looks forward to going to her parent’s house every year on Poila Boishakh along with her husband Raj. Raj looks wonderful in red and cream punjabi-pyjama, appropriate for the day. And of course, a red and white handloom saree for her. Poila Boishakh is another day in the Bengali calendar when everyone loves to…

How You Can Beat Sweltering Heat this Summer and Stay Cool

How You Can Beat Sweltering Heat this Summer and Stay Cool

Mrs. Meera Chatterjee got up with a start and sat up straight on her bed. She has rarely seen such a nightmare in her life. It was an April morning. And when Mrs. Chatterjee got up it was already 6 am. There is a power outage and the purr of the air conditioner is missing….

Will Global Uncertainties Increase Inflation and Interest Rate in India?

Will Global Uncertainties Increase Inflation and Interest Rate in India?

”Gas is finished,” shouted Ruma from the kitchen. ”I am booking the next cylinder online,” replied Sudeep. It was a Monday morning, and he thought he should book the next cylinder or he might forget once he is in the office. Sudeep opened the online booking page of the gas supplier’s portal and clicked to…